If the OnStar module is replaced in a 2009-2018 Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet or GMC model, several conditions may occur if the module is not properly programmed or activated. These conditions may include a red LED illuminating, no Wi-Fi operation (Mobile Internet Connectivity RPO VV4 only) and limited OnStar module functionality occurring shortly after replacing the module.
TIP: Depending on model and model year, the OnStar module also may be identified in the Service Information, TIS2Web, the parts catalog, or a scan tool as the Vehicle Communication Interface Module (VCIM), Communication Interface Module, Telematics Communication Interface Control Module, or OnStar Vehicle Interface Unit (VIU).
Review every step of the Communication Interface Module Programming and Setup procedure in the appropriate Service Information to ensure all steps were completed.
If there is any question about the proper operation of the OnStar module, press the blue OnStar button to call OnStar. If OnStar confirms incomplete programming or activation, perform the Communication Interface Module Programming and Setup procedure again from the beginning without skipping any steps and then re-evaluate the concern.
Programming and Setup Tips
While all steps in the programming and setup procedure are important, the following items must be followed to ensure proper operation of the replacement OnStar module.
- All replacement OnStar modules require TIS2Web programming. Complete every step of the Communication Interface Module Programming and Setup procedure.
- U.S. dealerships should not select the TIS2Web selection that refers to Canadian upgrade bulletin #15-08-44-001 on a vehicle that has not had the Canadian upgrade performed. Programming and Service Activation should be selected. (Fig. 3)
- From the SPS Supported Controllers screen, select Programming and Service Activation. Do not select an incorrect option that does not apply to the vehicle (e.g. Export, Only for RPO XXX, etc.).
- Select the Reprogram ECU option at the start of TIS2Web programming. Do not select the Replace and Reprogram ECU option. (Fig. 4)
- Do not select the OnStar Wi-Fi Enable (Gen 10 only) Programming procedure until the TIS2Web Programming and Service Activation procedure has been completed (RPO VV4 only). (Fig. 5)
- Press the blue OnStar button (Fig. 6) to call OnStar and confirm proper operation once the TIS2Web Programming and Service Activation procedure has been completed if required in the Communication Interface Module Programming and Setup procedure. To ensure that OnStar receives everything from TIS2Web needed to confirm proper operation, wait at least five minutes with the vehicle in an area with a clear view of the sky before pressing the blue OnStar button.
– Thanks to Jamie Parkhurst